It has been a big year of FMITL with 42 players playing the whole year, and with a few players leaving there were changes to be made.
That said its the biggest season yet, and I thank all returning players and newbies as well. Its fun when there is involvement from you lot.
Looking to next year, I will look to maintain about 40 slots again as it is a good size. But if more want to play then making 50 would be interesting as well.
And already being considered will be the introduction of more promotion/relegation chances at the end of next year. The current guaranteed one up/down plus a playoff is restricting.
Proposal is to go two up/down and a third for the playoffs.
Anyway - enough of next year, errmmm, next year.
So to this year.
REGULAR SEASON AWARDS
1. Minor Premiers
Last seasons Champion bobs up again this year to claim the Div 1 minor premiership.
In Division 2, a consistent tipper over the last few years gets a title
Division 3 sees its favourite win by strength of maths.
The new fully fledged Division 4 also delivered a math model based tipster to the top of its tree.
2. Wooden SpoonOf course, for all leagues there are winners and losers. So we need to acknowledge those that tried, and will be better for the run next year. And this year we had all Spooners designated as guaranteed to relegation to the lower division (in theory, subject to players not withdrawing).
Matt's run in Div 1 is over after 2 seasons and he is scheduled to return back to Div 2 next year.
In div 3, former powerhouse tipster AndyM drops a spot down to division 4. Its a cruel competition.
In Div 2, the guru pulled out, and with the Stoat stopping tweeting and tipping in D4, there was a need to trigger recesses, and also drop them to the spoon slots.
As mentioned before, there are side awards to the season as well, and these were played out in-season and during the post-season as well.
3. MAE Championship - The 'Lou Richards World of Sport Prize Pack'For some players, this is the prime award they are after. Not about winning the head-to-head matches, but in tipping margins as accurately as possible.
4. Most Correct Tipped - The 'Mike Williamson Medal'Simple rule here, if you tip correct regardless of margin you get a point.
Winners here all bested previous top scores in the category.
5. Most in Bonus Window - The 'Daniher Bros Silver Squeegee'Tipping winners is one thing, but getting close to correct is harder and what has helped the best rise to the top. The 2016 winners were.
6. Most Exact Margin Tip - The 'Plugger'Getting the exact margin is of course the ultimate. Two bonus points and a MAE contribution of 0 the ultimate reward.
Kev sets a new benchmark in exacta's.
7. Longest Tipping Streak - The 'Helen D'Amico'Running together some good form of tipping also helps secure wins through the season. These players went on the longest of long winding runs.
POST SEASON AWARDSAfter the regular home and away season, we entered the finals, for the top 5 of each division (top 4 for D4), and also the Lake Oval inspired Lightning Premiership for all non-finalists
1. Lightning Premiership - The 'Peter Landy Reperchage'All non finalists together and a blow in testing his arm for next year played for this, and all you had to do was tip correct and be better at accuracy.
The full table of results is below, but it should be worth noting that the winner pinched it purely because the actual best score was ineligible... because the blow in testing his arm for next year actually scored the best.
The 2016 Lightning Premiership winner is:
The full table here shows how close it was for Ichymochek in his back to back Landy wins.
2. Division 4 Champions - "Mark Jackson Shield"The first full Div 4 season played its full finals season and last years winner again rose to the top.
So the winner of the Mark Jackson Shield is
3. Division 3 Champions - "Allen Jakovich Trophy"As known from Round 23, the Jako winner for 2016 is
Swish wins it with a mean nearest the pin on their grand final match-up.
4. Division 2 Champions - "Geoff Blethyn Plate"The winner of the Blethyn Plate was also settled by mean nearest the pin.
Lucas finally gets promotion after two years where he went so close.
5. Division 1 Champions - "Percy Jones Cup"A strong top of the table tipster all year kept the form up in the finals.
A dominating final.
6. Relegation and Promotion MatchesThe FMITL season relegation/promotion head to head battles were played on Round 23.
Confirmed as promoted with TJMillar1 is RankingSW
|D3 / D4 PROMOTION - RELEGATION BATTLE|
Josh gets to move down to Div 4
MoS missed out on promotion via the grand final, but joins Swish via this battle.
|D2 / D3 PROMOTION - RELEGATION BATTLE|
Laurence plays on in Div 3 next year.
Good mates Amul and Mercado were hoping to play in the same division, but instead swap places for next year.
|D1 / D2 PROMOTION - RELEGATION BATTLE|
So barring any withdrawals, the 2016 divisions are as below:
Also, CapperTowers may fill a div 4 entry spot as well.
All that - can wait until next year
FMICL CUP SEASON FINALE
Round 23 also saw the climax of the season long FMICL Knockout Cup. All 42 players from Divs 1 to 4 were involved with the final between Swish and MarkD.
But before heading to the Cup Final result...
1. The FMITL Cup Golden Boot.In a FIFA-esque series as it is, its only appropriate we follow another FIFA type ruling and issue a Golden Boot for the highest scorer in the Cup.
This year it goes to three players who scored 12 points along the journey.
2. The FMITL Cup WinnerThis years FMICL @BarassiLine Cup was played out during Round 23 between
|2||(+)||St Kilda||v||Brisbane Lions||(-)||161||103||58||41||61|